Fire insurance policy for owners

KBC Home Insurance for owners

Fire insurance policy for owners

KBC Home Insurance for owners

Comprehensive cover

All damage is insured unless stated in the limited list of exclusions.

Smart options

The comprehensive cover provided by a home insurance policy can be supplemented with a range of options.

Contents insurance

Insuring the contents of your home against fire, storm, hail, water damage, collision, theft and so on.

What is the benefit of choosing this fire insurance policy?

This insurance provides comprehensive cover for your house or apartment, as well as all outbuildings, garden houses, terraces, swimming pools and more. The contents are also extensively covered, including against theft. Additional options allow you to include your garden, swimming pool, valuable jewellery or paintings, for example, or simply extend their cover.

Home insurance

What is insured?

  • Your home against 'all risks': any unexpected damage will be compensated.
    Unless the damage is able to be attributed to an occurrence which does not fall within the scope of the cover and is stated in the conditions.
  • The building also includes all outbuildings, garden houses, terraces, swimming pools, tennis courts, drives and other fixed structures.
  • Your garage may be located elsewhere.
  • If you let part of your home to another party, the tenant will also be insured. For example: letting rooms to students or a garage.
  • Anyone looking after your home during your absence is covered by the policy if they are liable for any damage to your home.

What is not insured?

  • Damage following the repair of a construction error
  • Corrosion, wear and tear, flakes, scratches, dents or stains
  • Scorching caused by cigarettes or sparks from a fireplace
  • Damage caused by subsoil instability
  • Damage caused by carrying out work
  • Theft or disappearance of building materials

Contents insurance

What is insured?

Damage to contents and injury to pets if the damage is the result of an insured event, such as fire, explosion, storm, hail, lightning, water damage, collision, theft or attempted theft.

We provide you with a list of insured events, but we also compensate damage resulting from events not on this list under the proviso that you did not expect this event to occur and that the damage amounts to at least EUR 1,250.

Where are you insured?

  • At your home address
  • In your own garage, even if it is located elsewhere
  • In rented student accommodation
  • In a retirement or care home

What is not insured?

  • Loss of your goods
  • Damage caused intentionally by yourself or your family members
  • Damage caused by flooding to goods not located in a closed building
  • Damage caused by the use, cleaning, processing or repair of goods
  • Damage to goods under guarantee

Optional: the additional costs of building according to new standards

This optional insurance is intended for owners of an older home. Building standards have changed considerably over the last few years. You must take these new standards into account after an incident has taken place, as they can increase costs significantly. 

What is insured?

Damage to your home is covered under 'Home insurance' as part of this policy. The additional costs incurred to repair the damage in compliance with the new building standards are covered under 'Insurance for additional costs resulting from new building standards'. 

What is not insured?

  • Costs to comply with new building standards because you failed to meet the building standards that already existed before the damage occurred.
  • Work other than the repair work.

Optional: insuring your valuables

You may wish to extend the cover to include certain objects for an amount of your choice and against all risks. 

What is insured?

Fire insurance policy - optional: insuring your valuables
  • Damage to your valuables, such as jewellery, sports equipment, musical instruments, laptops, antiques, etc.
  • All risks for the items specified in the special conditions. This includes any unexpected damage, destruction or loss of those insured items, unless the damage is attributable to an event not covered by the policy.
  • Certain items such as jewellery, sports equipment, laptops and musical instruments can be insured worldwide.

What is not insured?

  • Damage caused by an inherent defect in the insured object
  • Gradual damage resulting from exposure to slow-acting influences (wear and tear, discolouration, pollution, etc.)
  • Damage which has no influence on the use or function of the insured object
  • Damage to items still under guarantee
  • Damage caused intentionally or by cleaning, processing, repair or restoration

Optional: swimming pool insurance

What is insured?

Fire insurance policy - optional: swimming pool insurance

Damage to your swimming pool and its accessories.

What do we mean by 'swimming pool'?

  • Indoor and outdoor pools
  • Jacuzzis
  • Swimming ponds
  • Above-ground swimming pools made from hard materials

Swimming pool accessories

  • Pumps, taps, filters, solar collectors, jet streams
  • Patios next to the swimming pool
  • Lighting, panelling, roller covers, screens and covers
  • Swimming pool showers
  • Maintenance materials and products
  • The water

The insurance for your swimming pool is a form of 'all-risk insurance'. This means that we will provide compensation for any unexpected damage to or destruction of the swimming pool or its accessories, unless it concerns an uninsured event specified in the conditions. 

What is not insured?

  • Damage caused by the use of the goods
  • Damage caused by cleaning, processing or repair
  • Goods still under guarantee
  • Corrosion, wear and tear, discoloration, pollution and other damage that occurs gradually
  • Structural errors, erroneous positioning or any other inherent defect
  • Poor maintenance or insufficient preparation for the winter

Optional: insuring your garden

What is insured?

Fire insurance policy - optional: insuring your garden

This insurance covers your garden against fire, storm, hail, natural disasters, collision, free-roaming livestock or other domestic animals, vandalism, theft and spraying damage you did not cause yourself. 

What we consider to be a garden

  • Lawns
  • Trees, shrubs, hedges and any plants in open soil or in pots
  • Ponds, fountains and fish
  • Garden furniture and other movable property decorating your garden

What is not insured?

  • A swimming pond. You can insure your swimming pond with our swimming pool insurance (see above).
  • Damage of a temporary nature – such as to trees or shrubs – that will recover naturally.
  • Damage or destruction caused intentionally by yourself or your family members.

Optional: soil remediation insurance

If you heat your home or apartment with fuel oil... you are responsible for regular inspections and the remediation of any polluted soil. This applies both to owners and tenants.  Even if the pollution is not caused by you, for example during a refill, you will be responsible for the remediation (cleaning) of the soil. 

What is insured?

Fire insurance policy - optional: soil remediation insurance

Both the risk as well as the practical organisation of the obligatory soil remediation

  • The remediation process.
  • We also compensate damage resulting from the remediation process, such as damage to you garden or to third parties.

We will send an assessor to:

  • Determine the nature and seriousness of the pollution;
  • Take measures to limit the consequences;
  • Advise you on the legally prescribed procedures if the soil is contaminated;
  • Help you take care of the formalities.

What is not insured?

  • Contamination which already existed when the cover commenced
  • Any decrease in value or loss of use of the remediated soil
  • Pollution resulting from natural disasters 

Optional: builder's insurance

This is an insurance policy for anyone who has plans to build, rebuild or renovate. It covers you right from the start against site risks, such as theft from the site, damage to property or accidents at the site and damage to neighbouring properties. 

What is insured?

Fire insurance policy - optional: builder's insurance
  • Damage to or theft of property on the site
  • Accidents during work
  • Additional costs as a result of the contractor or architect involved becoming unavailable 
Property on the site refers to:
  • Construction materials and items still to be erected
  • Any structures already in place, with the exception of the site hut
  • The fixtures of the structures, such as sanitation and heating Tools and site equipment are not considered fixtures.
In addition, you, unpaid assistants and visitors to the work site are also insured against accidents. 
We pay
  • Costs for medical care up to EUR 5,000 that are not covered by the health insurance fund and after a deduction of EUR 50
  • Compensation in the event of permanent disability
  • Compensation to the amount of EUR 10,000 and the repayment of funeral expenses in the event of death
We will pay you compensation of EUR 2,000 if the work is interrupted for at least two months as a result of the bankruptcy, illness, accident or death of your contractor or architect. 

When are you insured?

You are insured during the construction and maintenance period.

  • The construction period runs from the moment the site is prepared for construction until the moment you start to use the building. The end of the construction period is specified in the policy. You can have this date changed.
  • The maintenance period follows on from the construction period and has a fixed duration of one year.

What is not insured?

The basic insurance policy does not apply to the following (and is not limited to these scenarios):

  • Damage to structures intended for demolition;
  • Damage caused by condensation or lack of effective damp proofing;
  • Damage caused by failing to comply with planning regulations.
  • ...

Not included in the additional cover options are:

  • Damage caused by intentional acts or omissions, such as damage caused in a state of drunkenness;
  • Damage caused by the use of explosives;
  • Environmental pollution resulting from failure to comply with imposed environmental protection measures.

Additional optional insurance policies

  • Liability for damage you may cause to others during construction or alterations.
  • Insurance obligations set out in the specifications.

Things you also need to know

  • KBC Home Insurance for Owners may include one or more of the following:

Home insurance

This is a form of property damage insurance 

Insurance to cover the additional costs of building according to new standards

This is a form of property damage insurance 

Home Contents Insurance

This is a form of property damage insurance 

Insurance of valuable objects

This is a form of property damage insurance 

Swimming pool insurance

This is a form of property damage insurance 

Garden insurance

This is a form of property damage insurance 

Soil remediation insurance

This is a form of property damage insurance 

Builder's insurance

This is a form of third-party liability insurance and accident insurance

  • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
  • The types of insurance in this policy apply for a term of one year and will be tacitly renewed unless terminated no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is your first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, you can contact
    KBC complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven,, tel. 0800 620 84 (free number) or 078 15 20 45 (pay number), fax 016 86 30 38. If this does not result in a satisfactory solution, you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman, which acts for the entire industry, at Meeûsplantsoen 35, 1000 Brussels, or visit
    However, you always retain the right to initiate legal proceedings.

For a KBC Home Insurance policy quote, please visit our website or contact your KBC insurance intermediary.

KBC Home Insurance is a product of KBC Insurance – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
 – VAT No. BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
 The company is licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979).
Member of the KBC Group

Please refer to the product fact sheet for a concise description of the cover and the most important exclusions, as well as other useful information

  • Product fact sheet
  • General Conditions
  • Segmentation policy


Was this page useful to you? Yes No