What does this internship entail?
KBC Asset Management is a public limited company, with registered office at Havenlaan 2, 1080 Brussels, Belgium. It operates as management company for undertakings for collective investment under Belgian law, including investment services for individual portfolio management.
KBC Asset Management (NV) fully owns two entities in Luxembourg (KBC Asset Management SA) and in Ireland (KBC Fund Management Ltd.). These two entities qualify as specific competence centers for KBC Asset Management.
KBC Asset Management has affiliates in Central Europe, its second
"home market": UBB Asset Management in Bulgaria, CSOB Asset
Management a.s. Investment Company in the Czech Republic, K&H
Investment Fund Management in Hungary and a branch in Slovakia.
At KBC Asset Management, you will experience a dynamic work environment with the spirit of an SME. Next to ambitious expectations about dedication and entrepreneurship, you will find an inspiration room, lunch sessions on top-of-mind topics, a foosball game, and much more.
The product risk department counts 15 colleagues in Belgium, 1 in
Luxemburg and 2 in Dublin and reports to the CRO of KBC Asset
What do we stand for ? In short, we want to give comfort to our
customers, our distributors and our company that KBC AM’s products or
services are designed to meet the highest quality standards and are in
line with applicable law. We want to insure this both at the start of
the product and during its life-time, even in adverse market
circumstances. As such, the product risk team (ARC) has a very broad
range of activities and responsibilities.
What do we expect from you?
For this traineeship we are looking for candidates with a numerical background and a minimum of programming experience in MatLab or other programming language to strengthen our product risk team in its core tasks and projects as outlined below.
- Implementation of a model risk framework, dealing with risks
related to model development and implementation; conducting model
- Project ‘Hjerte’ (Danish for heart), modernizing our entire fund management infrastructure, including risk related metrics and reporting;
- ‘PRIIPS’, assure that we can perform the necesary monte carlo simulations and other calculations to generate the
legally required fund performance scenario’s and risk scores;
- “Risk Culture”, aiming for risk to be managed by business as the 1st line of defense;
Possible traineeship assignments
During this traineeship, motivated people with a numerical
background and a minimum of programming experience can assist in
(e.g.) creating new models for our capital protected and structured
funds, develop and program scenario analyses for various product
lines, assess and validate existing business models, improve our
existing risk infrastructure and make it
When allocating trainee assignments we will take the trainee's personal interests into account.
As risk managers
• we join the product developer and future portfolio manager already in the development phase of a new product;
• we determine the product score and risk profile of the product, as well as the regulatory risk indicators, so that clients can judge whether the product is suitable for her or him;
• we agree with the portfolio manager on the risk framework which indicates how the product will be managed on a day-to-day basis. We monitor this framework and report to our management, auditors and regulator;
• we report on the performance of our investment funds and institutional portfolios;
we do checks on major derivative contracts, calculations of our Middle and Back Office
Your key strengths
From a technical point of view
- You are currently an actuarial science master student or a student
master in insurances.
- You have strong written and oral communication skills in English.
From a personal point of view
- You are a team player, but can focus on individual assignments
independently when necessary.
- You are dynamic, creative and show initiative.
- You like working in an international context.
- You have strong analytical skills allowing you to dig into a lot of information quickly and formulate relevant messages
in an easy-to-understand, structured way.
- You are well organized and structured in your tasks, setting ambitious goals for yourself and respecting deadlines.
You are eager to learn but also to share knowledge. You have a drive to continuously extend your knowledge and explore different areas of risk (management).
Published on 06/11/2018
Fill in the fields below, attach your CV and click 'send application'.
All fields must be filled in.