What do I need to sort out for a birth?

What do I need to sort out for a birth?

When you have a child, there are some formalities to deal with. You can sort out some things before the birth and others can wait. A checklist.

Before the birth

  • Arrange childcare
    Make a start on this as early as possible in the pregnancy. In cities in particular, childcare places are hard to find. Find out if your municipality has a registration system for municipal childcare initiatives.
  • Inform your employer of your pregnancy
    It's best to do so verbally first and then send in the declaration which your gynaecologist will give you.
  • Apply for maternity allowance (lump sum on birth)
    As a parent, you receive a lump sum on the birth of a child, known as maternity allowance. You can apply to the child benefit fund from the sixth month of pregnancy.
  • Open a kids account
    Put the account number on the birth announcement card in case anyone wants to give you a gift. Open an account now. You can put your savings account in your child's name after the birth.
  • Recognise the child
    If you aren't married, the father can recognise the child before birth at the municipal office. The mother has to give her consent to this.
  • Find out about assistance for new mothers
    If you would like a bit of extra help in the weeks after the birth, you can call upon assistance for new mothers. Various organisations provide assistance for new mothers. The health insurance fund reimburses some of the cost.
  • Apply for maternity leave
    Your doctor will fill in a declaration of incapacity for work. You give this form to your mutual insurance fund.
  • Contact your mutual insurance fund
    They'll often give you an extra lump sum following the birth and a gift.

After the birth

  • Register the birth
    After the birth, your doctor or midwife will give you a form with which to register your child at the registry office for the place of birth within 15 days. You'll be given several copies of the birth certificate, for applying for child benefit and a lump sum following the birth, etc.
  • Choose a surname
    Since 1 June 2014, you can give your child a double-barrelled name. The name of the father or co-mother, the name of the mother or a combination of both names. You indicate your choice when you register the birth.
  • Notify your mutual insurance fund of the birth
    Notify the mutual insurance fund after the birth and give them a copy of the birth certificate.
  • If applicable, ask about a breastfeeding bonus from the mutual insurance fund.
  • Notify the nursery
    Notify the nursery of the birth and arrange to take a look around.
  • Take out endowment insurance
    Many parents love to give their child a good start as a young adult. With endowment insurance, you build up a lump sum for your child at your own pace. Ask your KBC branch for more information about the various types.
  • Find out about insurance If you have supplementary health insurance, you can add your child to the policy. Ask your insurance company about this. It might be a good idea to add your child to other policies – for instance family insurance.
  • Apply for child benefit
    You need a copy of the birth certificate to apply for child benefit. If you're an employee, your employer will handle it for you.
  • Apply for paternity leave for your partner
    Your partner is entitled to 10 days' paternity leave during the four months following the birth. They apply through their employer.

Saving for your pension

Aim for long-term growth and lay the foundations for topping up your pension pot

Your personal accident insurance

KBC's personal accident insurance also provides compensation for the expenses that your health insurance and hospitalisation insurance don't cover following an accident. Learn more

Studying abroad

Remember to sort these things out before your foreign adventure.

Want to open a savings account together?

A joint savings account or a personal savings account. Which should you choose?
We use cookies and similar technologies to make our website work better for you and ensure your online experience with us is more enjoyable and rewarding. We may also adapt our website to your needs and preferences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies.Learn more or reject cookies.