Storms or strong winds can cause a lot of bother and damage, so it pays to be prepared. Count the number of seconds between seeing lightning and hearing thunder to get an idea of how far away a storm is and how long you still have before it arrives. Every three seconds is roughly equivalent to one kilometre.
Prevent storm damage
- Take patio furniture, bins, gardening tools and ornaments inside or secure them
- Close sunshades and put away parasols
- If you’re in the woods, seek shelter in a group of low trees and never stand under a tree standing on its own
- You are best protected in a car
- Don’t stand in front of an open window
- Unplug all electrical devices to prevent them being destroyed if lightning strikes
- Disconnect radio and TV cables
- Put your car in your garage or under your carport
Prevent hail damage
- Park your car in a garage or under a roof
- If you have to park your car outside, then protect it with a thick blanket
- Protect skylights with a thick blanket or old carpet
- Leave your pool cover open instead of closing it
Driving in a storm or hail storm
- Look for a safe, covered place and wait for the storm to pass
- If you cannot find shelter, then stop in a safe place and wait for the storm or hail storm to pass. This reduces the impact and damage.
Download KBC Assist free to your smartphone
Learn more or get help on KBC Assist
Get the KBC Assist app to file digital insurance claims in a flash if you suffer an accident, damage or theft.
Buying or building a new home when the old one hasn't yet been sold? Maybe you need a bridging loan.