Hospitalisation Insurance

Insurance for hospitalisation and serious illnesses

Hospitalisation Insurance

Insurance for hospitalisation and serious illnesses

Financial protection

Extensive reimbursement of covered hospitalisation expenses after statutory health insurance cover has been exhausted.

Free choice of deductible and type of room

Choose a deductible of between 0 and 500 euros and receive a discount on your premium. You will also receive a discount if you opt for a twin or multiple-occupancy room.

You won't need to make any initial payments yourself

KBC pays the hospital directly.

What is KBC Hospitalisation Insurance?

KBC Hospitalisation Insurance provides you with extensive cover for medical expenses you incur when you are hospitalised due to illness or an accident, or for childbirth. By taking out hospitalisation insurance, you will enjoy lifelong cover for unforeseen medical expenses in the event of hospitalisation.

What is covered?

Hospitalisation Insurance

The expenses covered by the insurer are specified in the policy. They include

  • expenses incurred during hospitalisation (consultations, fees, accommodation, etc.);
  • expenses for home birth (fixed amount of 625 euros) and suitable medical transport (up to 1 250 euros);
  • medical expenses connected with the complaint for which you were admitted, for a period of two months before and six months after hospitalisation;
  • reimbursement of the outpatient medical expenses if you suffer from one of the 31 serious illnesses specified in the policy.

The insurer covers the expenses not reimbursed by the health insurance company.  The expenses covered are listed in the conditions. In some cases, cover is subject to specific conditions or limited.

The special conditions contain a list of expensive hospitals. If you stay in one of the hospitals on the list and, upon admission, opt for a room with patient supplements, you will pay 50 per cent of the personal share.

What is excluded?

  • Consequences or complications of an existing illness, or an accident the insured person was involved in prior to joining the policy;
  • Attempted suicide or acts of violence perpetrated by the insured person;
  • In certain cases, a reimbursement ceiling applies.

The exclusions are listed in the general conditions.


You may opt for a deductible of 0, 100, 200, 300 or 500 euros, which you are responsible for paying. Your deductible may entitle you to a discount on the premium.


You can choose between:

  • risk premiums and equalised premiums;
    • a risk premium is determined based on the risk you are subject to when you take out the policy. In principle, young people pay lower premiums, which increase as they get older.
    • an equalised premium: a fixed agreed premium based on your age and condition when you take out the policy.
  • annual premium or staggered premium payment.

The premium will be adjusted annually on the principal renewal date in line with the consumer price index or the specific medical index. You will receive a family discount of 5% as from two insured persons and 10% as from three insured persons.

You will also receive a discount if you opt for twin or multiple-occupancy room cover. This means having a preference for a twin or multiple-occupancy room. If, upon admission, you opt for a single room, cover will be limited to a fixed daily amount, subject to a maximum of the actual invoice amount.

Think about tomorrow today

Opting for risk premiums means that your premiums will rise as you get older. That's why it's a good idea to build up a reserve now that you can use to pay for those higher premiums later. Ask your KBC insurance adviser for a hospitalisation insurance savings plan that's right for you.

What should I do before, during or after hospitalisation?

More things you need to know

  • KBC Hospitalisation Insurance is governed by the laws of Belgium.
  • Anyone up to the age of 70 can take out the insurance, on condition that their usual place of residence is in Belgium and they are registered under the Belgian social security system. Acceptance is dependent on medical acceptance.
  • Term: the insurance provides lifelong cover. The policyholder has an annual right of cancellation.
  • Your intermediary is your first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, you can contact KBC Complaints Management by post at Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven,, tel. 0800 62 084 (freephone number) or 078 152045 (paid number) or by fax on 016 863038. If you cannot find a suitable solution through that channel, you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman – which serves the whole industry – by post at de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, by e-mail at, or through its website at
    However, you always retain the right to initiate legal proceedings.

KBC Hospitalisation Insurance is a product of KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
VAT BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
Company authorised for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979; Belgian Official Gazette, 14 July 1979) by the National Bank of Belgium, De Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
Member of the KBC Group

For detailed information on this product, see the product fact sheet and the general conditions, which we recommend you read carefully before taking out this product.


Was this page useful to you? Yes No

Cancellation of contract

Cancellation of contract

Why you should start saving for your pension

Why you should start saving for your pension

Your state pension is less than your final salary. By choosing to save, you'll build up a reserve and get 30% tax relief.
K'Ching: mobile banking for young people

K'Ching: mobile banking for young people

Discover KBC K'Ching, the ideal mobile banking app for young people.
Are you separating from your partner? What happens to your savings account?

Are you separating from your partner? What happens to your savings account?

What happens to the money in your savings account when you separate from or divorce your partner?