KBC Family Insurance
- Make sure you and your family members are covered for loss, damage or injury caused to others
- Take out your family insurance right away
- Get separate cover for co-residents
What is family insurance?
If someone sustains loss, damage or injury as a result of an error or negligence on your part – or on the part of your cohabiting partner or children – he or she could claim compensation. In that case, our family insurance will protect you against the financial consequences.
And should you or a family member ever suffer loss, damage or injury because of someone else's mistake or negligence, our personal legal assistance insurance will provide you with the legal support and assistance to seek compensation (for instance, if an inattentive cyclist crashes into you).
Why take out family insurance?
Our records show when customers claim on their family insurance most often.
The four most common incidents prompting these claims are:
- Water leaks in bathrooms causing damage in a neighbouring property
- Accidental damage to other people's mobile phones such as cracked screens
- Damage caused by bikes between two parked cars accidentally leaving a scratch on the door of one of the cars
- Felled trees falling the wrong way causing damage to a neighbour's property
Is family insurance obligatory?
Family insurance isn't obligatory, yet nearly every Belgian household has it. You really can't do without it, even if you're single or you don't have any children. Minor accidents can have major consequences.
Say the worst happened and someone ended up permanently disabled. If you are deemed responsible for the accident, you could be paying for the rest of your life. KBC Family Insurance covers you in such situations for a relatively low premium.
Who should take out family insurance?
Whether you're living on your own or together with friends, are single or have young lively children, family insurance is absolutely essential in all households. And if you've gone through a divorce, it's worthwhile reviewing your existing family insurance policy too.
Our family insurance also includes separate cover for people who live under the same roof but are not a family unit.
- One person takes out the insurance and all the others living there are automatically covered by the same policy
- Even if you accidentally damage something that belongs to another resident, you are insured (however, the cost of damage caused to contents used by everyone is not)
- If one of the residents moves out, he or she is no longer covered
- If the policyholder moves out, one of the other residents has to take over the insurance
- New residents are automatically covered (up to five adults)
What is and isn’t covered?
Loss, damage or injury caused to other individuals
We will compensate the person who suffered the loss, damage or injury. The policy also covers any loss, damage or injury caused by your animals to other individuals.
Loss, damage or injury caused by the actions of another person
If you take out personal legal assistance insurance, we’ll help you get compensation from the liable party. If they are unable to pay, we’ll pay up to 12,500 euros in compensation. This figure is doubled in the case of bodily injuries.
- Loss, damage or injury that you cause to yourself or family members
- Loss, damage or injury caused by misconduct on the part of a member of your family aged 18 or older (e.g., acts of violence, theft, vandalism)
- Loss, damage or injury caused intentionally by a member of your family aged 16 or older
- Loss, damage or injury caused by your riding horses or by animals that you, as a private individual residing in Belgium, are not allowed to keep
- Fines and out-of-court settlements
- Disputes in which you are involved as the owner or driver of a motor vehicle that is subject to compulsory motor insurance
Additional KBC Family Insurance information
Compensation and deductible
- For bodily injuries, we provide cover of up to 30 million euros per claim and there's no deductible to pay
- We provide cover of up to 10 million euros for material damage and you pay a deductible of 250 euros per claim
Extending your family insurance cover to include legal assistance for contractual disputes
What if …
- Your new TV doesn't work and the shop refuses to replace it?
- Your landlord refuses to fix a broken front door?
- Your new boiler or kitchen you've had installed is badly fitted?
- The luxury cruise you booked turns out to be on an old rust-bucket?
In such cases, our legal assistance insurance provides legal support for contractual disputes as long as the amount involved is at least 200 euros.
If you take out additional legal assistance cover for contractual and other disputes, you will also receive legal support in the event of administrative or tax disputes, construction disputes and disputes relating to a first divorce. That's particularly useful as lawyers and the courts can end up costing you a lot of money.
If you take out personal legal assistance insurance and the optional cover for contractual and other disputes, the premium you pay is tax-deductible.
Family insurance cover for your dog
As standard, your family insurance policy covers your liability for any loss, damage or injury that your dog causes to another person.
But what if:
- Your dog bites someone and it's not your fault?
- Your own or another dog bites a member of your family?
- Your dog is injured in a traffic accident?
- Your dog needs to be put in kennels because you suddenly have to go into hospital and there's no one to look after it?
In that case, our dog insurance will protect you against the financial consequences. This is an accident insurance policy.
- If your dog bites another person, we will pay compensation of up to 1.5 million euros to cover the loss, damage or injury, even if you're not responsible for the incident
- If another dog bites a member of your family, we will likewise pay compensation of up to 1.5 million euros for the bodily injuries caused
- If your dog is injured in a traffic accident, we will pay up to 2,000 euros in veterinary fees
- If a family member is admitted to hospital and there is no one to take care of your dog, we will pay up to 300 euros per claim to cover the cost of kennels
We reimburse the costs and expenses in their entirety, regardless of how many dogs you have.
- Veterinary fees if your dog is unwell
- Accidents not involving traffic in which your dog is injured (like a fight with another dog)
- Dogs you keep or breed professionally
Additional cover: extra-earnings activity, teaching, childminding
Do you or a family member have a hobby that generates some extra income, or do you teach on a regular basis? Perhaps you have someone you pay to help with tasks in or at your home, such as a cleaner, babysitter or gardener? If so, it is advisable – and sometimes even compulsory – to take out additional insurance.