Property insurance for tenants

KBC Home Insurance for tenants

  • Insure your home contents and your liability for the home you are renting
  • See what home insurance with us will cost you now in just 3 steps
  • Take out your property insurance immediately online
  • File insurance claims using our app or by contacting your insurance agent

Property insurance for tenants

KBC Home Insurance for tenants

  • Insure your home contents and your liability for the home you are renting
  • See what home insurance with us will cost you now in just 3 steps
  • Take out your property insurance immediately online
  • File insurance claims using our app or by contacting your insurance agent

Is property insurance compulsory?

Home Insurance for tenants

That depends on which region your rented property's situated in. In Flanders, tenants have been under a legal duty to take out property insurance since 1 January 2019. Wallonia made tenant's insurance compulsory on 1 September of this year. Brussels has not yet officially gone that far.

However, if you are a tenant, we recommend that you take out tenant’s liability and home contents insurance, to avoid having to cover these costs yourself. In fact, a lease will often include a tenant's obligation to take out property insurance anyway.

The law names a number of risks that policies have to cover, like fire, storm, hailstones and natural disasters.

When you take out home insurance, you often have a choice of cover options, so you need to think about what your tenancy needs are. For example, if you want to be sure you can get legal assistance for a dispute with your landlord, extend your cover to include Legal assistance insurance for tenants.

Why take out property insurance as a tenant?

As a tenant, you also require property insurance.

  • You are obliged to deliver the home you are renting to the owner in its original condition. You can mitigate the financial ramifications of a claim by taking out tenant’s liability insurance.
  • Insuring your personal property (including furniture, clothing, computer, etc.) against damage is also a good idea.

You arrive home one day only to find your house flooded because you forgot to turn off one of the taps before leaving. In this case, we will cover both the damaged home contents and your liability for water damage caused to the home.

What does property insurance cover?

Property insurance covers far more than fire damage alone.
KBC Home Insurance covers your tenant’s liability and home contents (including theft).

  1. Tenant’s insurance
  2. Home contents insurance

Based on your personal requirements, you can extend your policy by adding the following types of cover: legal assistance during disputes with the landlord (legal assistance) and/or contamination caused by leaks in your fuel oil tank (soil decontamination).

Looking to insure your second rented home?

1. Tenant’s insurance

This insurance covers damage to the rented home for which you are responsible.

What is insured?

  • The home, annexes and fences
  • Rented garage (even if it is located elsewhere)
  • Property or items permanently attached to the building

If you sublet a section of the home, the subtenant is included in the cover.

What is not insured?

  • Additional obligations in your lease which exceed the legal liability
  • Deliberate destruction or theft of goods by you or members of your household
  • Typical rental damage (such as wall plugs)

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

Good to know

Your third-party liability for loss or damage caused in, around or on the building, the grounds, any adjacent footpaths or their contents is not covered under this policy. This cover is provided under your family insurance.

What is third-party liability insurance (BA)?

Questions about your Home Insurance?

Don’t hesitate to contact our Insurance Expert via KBC Live or schedule an appointment with your bank branch or insurance agent.

2. Home Contents Insurance

What if …

  • A storm destroys your garden furniture?
  • Lightning causes your computer to crash?
  • Burglars break into your home and steal your mobile phone or laptop?

KBC Home Insurance for tenants automatically covers your home contents, including against theft.

What is insured?

All risks under the General conditions, without minimum claim amount. Examples include the following:

  • Damage caused by, for example, fire, explosion, storm, hail, lightning, water, collision, and theft or attempted theft to your
    • Home contents: furniture, clothing, bicycles, jewellery, television sets, etc.
    • Pets
    • Motor vehicles and their trailers
  • Damage to fixed equipment or improvements you made to the home as a tenant, at your expense, is also insured
  • Home burglary, including theft involving violence, threats or a break-in while you are on holiday or in a public place
  • Theft of home contents outside the home

It is impossible to list all the risks that can damage your home contents. That's why we also provide compensation for damage to the contents of at least 1 250 euros, caused by other, unexpected events.

What is not insured?

  • Loss
  • Deliberate damage
  • Water damage to objects outside the home or building
  • Theft of or from a vehicle located elsewhere (other than in a locked private garage) or on a public road

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.


Where are your home contents insured?

  • At your home address
  • In your individual garage, even if this is located elsewhere
  • In the student digs you are renting

If you go on holiday, we will insure your baggage in the holiday home you are renting or in your hotel room.
Your pets are insured everywhere.


Based on your requirements, you can extend your cover to include the following types of insurance:

Legal assistance insurance for tenants

What if …

  • Your landlord refuses to repair the roof?
  • Your landlord accuses you of having damaged the doors?

In these cases, this insurance covers legal assistance and support.

If you become involved in a legal dispute relating to the home you are renting, we engage the services of Defendo, KBC’s legal assistance department. They are an independent and specialised team, who guarantee honest advice and the confidential handling of your file.

What will Defendo do for you?

Legal assistance insurance for the tenant
  • Provide you with assistance
  • Inform you of your rights and how you can enforce them
  • Help you to gather all the information you need (including evidence, certificates and witness statements)
  • Cover the fees and charges of lawyers, court bailiffs and various experts
  • Cover the costs of the court or out-of-court proceedings
  • Cover the loss you suffer if it turns out the liable party is unable to pay.

What is insured?

Legal assistance if you become involved in a dispute with your landlord regarding

  • The safety and liveability of the home
  • The repayment of costs caused by a defect in the home

If you incur loss or damage, Defendo will assist you in order to ensure you are adequately compensated. If you are suspected of a crime, Defendo will ensure that you receive the appropriate legal support from a criminal defence lawyer. This applies both if you are a suspect and if you are entitled to consult a lawyer.

What is not insured?

  • Fines or municipal administrative sanctions, charges or out-of-court settlements
  • If the loss is related to the performance of a contract, Defendo will not become involved in the actual content of the contract, e.g., discussions about price or quality.
  • In order to avoid conflicts of interests, Defendo does not handle any disputes involving you and another insured person.

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

Soil Decontamination Insurance

Soil remediation insurance

If you use fuel oil to heat your house or apartment, you are personally responsible for checking the tank on a regular basis and for soil decontamination following contamination.

More than 3% of tanks start leaking at some point, often caused by rust. However, contamination may also occur while refilling the tank. You will also be responsible for covering the cost of the soil decontamination, i.e. the process of cleaning the contaminated land.

Only fuel oil tanks built less than 40 years ago and with a maximum capacity of 20,000 litres are eligible.
The total compensation for each claim event amounts to 60,000 euros.

What is insured?

We cover both the risk and the practical organisation of the compulsory soil decontamination.
We will send an assessor to

  • Determine the nature and seriousness of the contamination
  • Take measures to limit the consequences
  • Inform you of the statutory procedures relating to soil contamination
  • Help you with any formalities to be completed.

We will arrange to have decontamination works carried out if the contamination is so serious that you are required by law to have the soil decontaminated.

What is not insured?

  • Contamination that already existed when the cover was taken out
  • Costs borne by the government or another body for the decontamination of contaminated soil
  • The possible reduction in value of the contaminated soil
  • Pollution and contamination caused by natural disasters

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

Good to know

KBC Home Insurance for tenants may include one or more of the following types of insurance cover: tenant’s insurance, home contents insurance, soil decontamination insurance (property insurance) and legal assistance insurance for tenants (legal assistance insurance). These forms of insurance cover are designed for tenants of private homes. No commercial activity or liberal profession is carried out in the insured home.

  • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium
  • Insurance cover under this policy is for a term of one year and will be tacitly renewed, unless it is terminated no later than three months before the main renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is your first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management: Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven,, tel. 0800 62 084 or + 32 78 15 20 45 (charges apply), fax + 32 16 86 30 38. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry's ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels,, This does not affect your legal rights.

Contact your insurance expert or visit our website to request a quotation for KBC Home Insurance for tenants.
KBC Home Insurance for tenants is a product from KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
VAT BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
Company licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979)
Member of the KBC Group

Read this information carefully before taking out this insurance

Calculate the price of your property insurance using our simulation tool

Calculate your premium in three steps
Take out your insurance online now
Your property insurance can take effect the very next day
We use cookies and similar technologies to make our website work better for you and ensure your online experience with us is more enjoyable and rewarding. We may also adapt our website to your needs and preferences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies. Learn more or reject cookies.