What are the pros and cons of Private Lease?
Is buying a car or personal car leasing better? That depends. Getting a personal contract hire car through our Private Lease service and buying a car each have benefits.
When you buy a car, it’s yours to do with what you will. However, it’s also a big investment with a lot of extra costs.
A leased car means carefreeness and freedom in the knowledge that you’re driving a brand-new car with virtually all costs included.
Buying a car or Private Lease: 9 pros and cons
Wondering whether to go for personal car leasing using our Private Lease service or buy a car? See the main differences at a glance.
1. Owning a car or leasing one long term
- Keep it as long as you like
- Owned by KBC Autolease
- Return it at the end of your leasing contract
2. Freedom of choice: full/limited
- Pick or configure it to fit your taste and needs
- Price negotiable at dealer or with private seller
- Compare prices and sellers
- Pick a car from our range (new or second-hand)
- Most options are set
- Choose your own colour and gearbox
3. Costs up front or almost all included
- Usually pricey unless you get a car loan
- Mandatory extra costs: vehicle registration tax, insurance and inspection (with a tow bar)
- No deposit or down payment
- Almost all standard costs included, including insurance and maintenance
- Everything done for you except refuelling
4. All sorts of or hardly any extra costs
- Annual tax, maintenance, potential repairs, tyres, third-party liability insurance, assistance cover, etc. not included in purchase price
- You choose who to go to for maintenance and repairs
- Almost all costs included
- Pay only for fuel and nominal charges for self-caused damage
- Maintenance and repairs must be done at authorised dealerships
5. Handle all or nothing yourself
- Have to sell it when tired of it
- Costs time and money (inspection, photos, price negotiations, etc.) to sell
- Nothing to do at the end of the contract
- Return the car and you’re done
- Get money when you sell it on
- Drops quickly in value
- Lower second-hand market prices make no difference to your wallet
7. Mileage: unlimited/limited
- Drive as far and as much as you want without mileage restrictions
- Contractually fixed mileage
- Surcharge for exceeding limit
8. Damage: any/required repair service
- Scratches and dents need fixed fast
- Return with normal wear and tear (Renta standards) at end of leasing contract
- Insurance included so you only pay part of repair costs
9. Personalisation: free/limited
- Freely adjustable to personal taste and needs
- Personalise with other rims, stickers, (optical) tuning, etc.
- Return in original condition at end of leasing contract