Travelling abroad

Drive your lease car worry-free abroad

Travelling abroad

Drive your lease car worry-free abroad

The whole world at your feet

You and your employees can drive the leased vehicle in all countries of the European Union.

If you want to drive outside the Schengen Area with your lease car, apply for a 'Drive Certificate' via Renta Drive to avoid any problems at the border in the event the competent authorities stop you.

Hint: apply for a certificate (more than) 14 days in advance.

The most common countries requiring such a certificate:

  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Morocco
  • Montenegro
  • Serbia
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey

Note that in countries outside the European Union for which it is not possible to apply for a certificate, you cannot drive a leased vehicle.

Good to know

  • Switzerland and Norway are not members of the European Union, but do not require a certificate for driving lease vehicles there.
  • You need certificates not only for the destination country but also for countries you transit on the way to your destination.
  • Your certificate to drive outside the EU will be sent to you by e-mail and regular post in 6 working days or less.

More information?

If you have any further questions, our Driver Care staff will be happy to help.

CRIT'air ecology certification compulsory in parts of France

Vehicles driven in France's 'traffic restriction zones' (ZCRs) have had to display a CRIT'air ecology certificate (vignette) since 1 April 2017. The towns in question are Paris, Lille, Lyons and Grenoble.

The requirement applies to all French vehicles and all vehicles registered outside France: cars, lorries, vans, buses, coaches, motorbikes, etc.

CRIT'air certification is a circular sticker costing 4.80 euros including shipping. The sticker is affixed in the lower right-hand corner of your windscreen.
Want more info on CRIT’Air certification and environmental zones in other European cities? The VAB website gives you a clear overview. Make sure you apply for your vignette in good time!

Insurance whilst abroad

All vehicles from KBC Autolease, including those on short-term lease, are insured in the countries that are currently stated on the international certificate of motor insurance (Green Card).

Step-by-step procedure for repairs abroad

  1. Technical repairs carried out abroad always require the prior approval of KBC Autolease. If you have KBC Autolease assistance insurance, contact KBC Autolease Assistance on + 32 2 347 39 02 (lines open 24 hours a day) to obtain the address of the nearest garage.
  2. If the cost of the repair is more than 500 euros, The garage must telephone to request approval from the KBC Autolease Technical Service Department on +32 16 88 16 52. In that case KBC Autolease will settle the repair bill directly with the garage.
  3. If the invoice has to be paid immediately, the foreign repair service must send an invoice (excluding VAT) to: KBC Autolease NV, Prof. Van Overstraetenplein 5, 3000 LEUVEN, Belgium, stating the company number BE 0422 562 385.
  4. After receiving this invoice and the proof of payment, KBC Autolease will reimburse any repair costs you have paid. You can use this form to apply for a refund of repair costs.

Breakdown service with a short-term lease vehicle

  •   Vehicles supplied by KBC Autolease
    These short-term lease vehicles are covered by the Euro Silver package, which provides vehicle-specific assistance in Belgium and abroad. The assistance abroad is limited to those countries that are validly listed on the international certificate of motor insurance. Contact KBC Autolease Assistance op + 32 2 347 39 02 (lines open 24 hours a day).
  • Vehicles supplied by Europcar
    Consult the documents contained in the vehicle.


Insurance and risk arrangement

Learn more about car and bicycle insurance and take to the road feeling secure and well informed.
Insurance and risk arrangement

Cycle safely in the winter with our tips

Cycle safely in the winter with our tips

Statutory warranty on your second-hand bike

Making a warranty claim for the lease bike you purchased
Statutory warranty on your second-hand bike