Supplementary industrial accident insurance

KBC Commercial Employee Insurance

Supplementary industrial accident insurance

KBC Commercial Employee Insurance

Why you should go for supplementary industrial accident insurance

Aanvullende arbeidsongevallenverzekering

Compulsory industrial accident insurance provides the statutory basic protection for employees who suffer industrial accidents. However, since it is only basic protection, your employee’s wage will be capped and some medical expenses are not covered. If you want to offer your employees even more protection, you can do that for them. Under supplementary industrial accident insurance, you can take out two sub-policies:

  • Supplementary medical costs cover: virtually all of your employees' medical expenses are covered following an industrial accident.
  • Supplementary compensation cover: compensation is not based on a capped wage level. For employees who earn more than the legal wage ceiling that extra amount will be covered under this supplementary insurance.

You can take out the 'compensation' and 'medical costs' covers separately or together.

Who is insured?

We insure different people, depending on which portion you choose:

  • Our supplementary Compensation portion provides insurance for employees who earn more than the wage ceiling set by law for industrial accidents.
  • Our supplementary Medical Costs portion provides insurance for all employees, regardless of their pay level.

What is insured?

Under supplementary industrial accident insurance, you can take out two sub-policies:

Supplementary medical costs cover Medical expenses that are not reimbursed by compulsory industrial accident insurance. These medical expenses are covered up to 5 000 euros per employee and per accident.
Supplementary compensation cover Compensation under the Workers’ Compensation Act is based on a capped wage level. However, some employees earn more than this capped wage amount and that extra wage portion (also called excess pay) can be included under the policy.


An employee's actual annual pay can easily exceed the legal wage cap for industrial accidents, given that pay includes all income such as meal vouchers, holiday pay, thirteenth month, etc.As employer, you can decide yourself the limit up to which you want to insure pay that goes above the legal wage cap.

What is NOT insured?

  • Suicide.
  • Accidents that are attributable to drunkenness.
  • Accidents that occur while carrying out an act of violence against a person or during the malicious damaging or misappropriation of goods.
  • The non-pecuniary loss that your employee might sustain as a result of an industrial accident.
  • Property damage: if your employee falls and damages their clothing, the clothing is not insured.
  • What you need to know

    • In the event of severe accidents, the victim can choose between a lifetime annuity and a one-off capital sum.
    • Supplementary industrial accident insurance is accident insurance forming part of our KBC Commercial Insurance Employee Cover.
    • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
    • Policies are valid for one year or three years. They are tacitly renewed on the renewal date for successive terms of the same duration as the initial term that is contracted unless they are cancelled no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
    • Your intermediary is your first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management: Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven – E-mail: – Tel.: tel. 0800 62 084 (free of charge) or + 32 78 15 20 45 (charges apply) – Fax: + 32 16 86 30 38. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry's ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels – E-mail: – Website:
    • This does not affect your legal rights.

    For a quote, please contact your KBC insurance intermediary.

    KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium.
    VAT No. BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
    Company licensed for all insurance classes under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979) by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
    Member of the KBC Group

    For a concise description of the cover, the main exclusions and other useful information, please refer to the product fact sheet.

    Look for a KBC Insurance Agent near you

    Was this page useful to you? Yes No

    Related products

    Professional Liability Insurance

    Professional Liability Insurance

    What if you have to pay compensation or incur legal expenses because you or one of your employees commits a professional error? KBC Professional Liability Insurance covers both you and your business: we pay those amounts for you. Find out all about it.
    Give your staff protection

    Give your staff protection

    Industrial accident insurance is compulsory, but there are additional ways to protect your workforce.
    Individual pension schemes

    Individual pension schemes

    As a self-employed business manager, you can build up a personal pension through your company. Find out about the terms of the KBC Keyman Benefit Plan now.
    Insure the goods you're transporting

    Insure the goods you're transporting

    If you're on the road with a substantial amount of your own capital equipment and merchandise in your vehicle, you can protect your load against risks such as damage or theft by taking out our goods in transit insurance.