Your work accident insurance

Make sure your staff are properly covered with KBC Commercial Employee Insurance

Your work accident insurance

Make sure your staff are properly covered with KBC Commercial Employee Insurance

Legally required

Covers the compensation and expenses required by law following an work accident.

Additional cover at no extra charge

Your staff are also covered for teleworking, work-related travel, work events and death benefit.

Personalisation options

The additional types of cover allow you to purchase insurance that suits the needs of your business.

Anyone can become the victim of a workplace accident at any time. That’s why you, as a business owner and employer, are required by law to take out work accident insurance. KBC Commercial Employee Insurance extends beyond just the legal requirements: we offer supplementary cover that provides you, your employees and assistants with extra protection.

What is work accident insurance?

Work accident insurance is a compulsory insurance policy you, as an employer, are required to take out for anyone with whom you sign an employment contract, even if you’ve only hired them for a day.

It leaves your employees safe in the knowledge that they’re well insured if they have an accident at work.

If you fail to take out work accident insurance, you will be liable for the costs. You also run the risk of being fined – or even, in some cases, (the risk of) imprisonment.

Schedule your appointment now

What is covered under the compulsory work accident insurance?

Work accident insurance must provide certain types of compulsory cover.

What is covered?

  • Compensation if an employee is temporarily or permanently incapacitated for work
  • Third-party assistance required after serious permanent injury
  • Compensation in the event of an employee’s death: funeral expenses, life-long annuity for the spouse and annuity for the children for as long as they’re entitled to child allowance
  • Medical care costs following an accident at work

What is not covered?

  • Material damage, such as damaged clothing
  • Any non-pecuniary loss caused by the accident

Good to know: compensation is calculated based on capped wages. If your employees earn more than the capped amount, we recommend that you take the supplementary Excess Wages cover.

Schedule your appointment now

Why take out work accident insurance with KBC?

Our insurance for accidents at work gives your staff all the legally required cover, plus 4 other types of cover at no extra charge. That means they’re also insured for work-related accidents not covered by compulsory insurance.

  1. Teleworking: cover for accidents occurring while you’re working from home (like falling down stairs)
  2. Events: provided the employer is one of the event organisers
  3. Work-related travel: includes foreign trips and domestic business travel involving one or more overnight stays
  4. Death benefit: if one of your staff dies as a result of an accident at work, we’ll also compensate the surviving partner (regardless of whether they were officially or unofficially cohabiting)
Schedule your appointment now

Additional options for even better employee protection

With good employees being hard to find and the war for talent raging as never before, it is essential that you give your staff plenty of reasons to choose your company every day. A good way to start is by offering a number of competitive additional options under the work accident insurance policy.

Recommended: Extra protection for your higher-paid employees

Compensation under workers’ compensation legislation is based on the statutory wage ceiling.  For work-related accidents, this wage is 44 817.89 euros in 2020. If your employees earn more than the capped amount, you can include the amount in the supplementary Excess Wages cover.

What is covered?

  • We insure the portion above the wage ceiling in the same way as the statutory compensation

What is not covered?

  • Non-pecuniary loss and material damage
  • Suicide and the consequences of attempted suicide
  • Accidents caused intentionally or resulting from gross negligence, such as in a state of alcohol intoxication

Benefits for employers

  • More to bargain with when it comes to retaining highly qualified staff

To find out if your staff is eligible for this cover, schedule an appointment with a KBC Insurance agent now.

Recommended: Recovery of wages following a work-related accident

When an employee has an accident at work, their employer is obliged to pay them wages for their first month of being unable to work. The compulsory insurance for work-related accidents doesn’t fully cover this.

This cover compensates you for the part of the guaranteed income that you have to pay yourself.

What is covered?

  • The difference between the gross wage that you have to pay as employer for the first month and the compensation you receive from your work accident insurer
  • The employer social security contributions that you pay as employer for the insured guaranteed wage period

Schedule your appointment now

Recommended: Personal assistance for work-related travel

If one of your employees becomes ill or has an accident while travelling for work, you can make sure they are properly insured by taking out the supplementary Personal assistance cover for work-related travel. That provides cover both at home and abroad.

What is covered?

Assistance in Belgium

  • Transporting sick or injured persons
  • Search and rescue costs

Assistance abroad

  • Medical expenses and search and rescue costs
  • Repatriation for medical reasons
  • Luggage transport
  • Travel and accommodation expenses for family members in case of hospitalisation
  • Early return home in certain crisis situations at home
  • Emergency assistance providing things like medicine, glasses or a suitcase of clothes

What is not covered?

  • Work-related travel that already started before this cover was taken out
  • Assistance not requested at the time of the actual event
  • Assistance not provided or approved by KBC

Schedule your appointment now

Supplementary cover for medical and funeral expenses

What is covered?

  • Medical expenses not covered by the Workers’ Compensation Act: up to 5 000 euros
  • Additional funeral expenses: up to 5 000 euros

What is not covered?

  • Accidents in your employee’s private life that occur during a period of absence for which the policyholder does not pay wages (except in the case of absence due to illness, pregnancy leave or an accident)
  • Accidents caused intentionally or resulting from gross negligence

Schedule your appointment now

Accidents occurring in your employee’s private life

The supplementary cover for Private-life accident insurance based on the Workers’ Compensation Act also protects your employees if they are involved in an accident outside the workplace.

What is covered?

  • Compensation in the event of temporary or permanent work disability
  • Funeral expenses and compensation for a deceased employee’s loved ones
  • Medical expenses following an accident

What is not covered?

  • Accidents in your employee’s private life that occur during a period of absence for which the policyholder does not pay wages (except in the case of absence due to illness, pregnancy leave or an accident)
  • Accidents subject to the Belgian Workers’ Compensation Act

Schedule your appointment now

What about yourself and any assistants with whom you have not signed an employment contract?

The compulsory work accident insurance doesn’t cover accidents involving you or people you don’t contractually employ.

This might include:

  • Your son or daughter helping out for a few hours
  • People in your waiting room
  • Job applicants
  • Children in your crèche
  • Neighbours helping you at busy times

That’s why we offer occupational accident insurance for yourself, any third parties and unpaid assistants.

We also offer guaranteed income insurance for employers, which covers you for accidents at work as well.

Feel free to contact your KBC Insurance agent for advice

Need help finding the right insurance for you? Your KBC Insurance agent will be happy to help you.

Schedule your appointment now

Good to know

  • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
  • The types of cover in this policy apply for a term of one year or three years. The policy will be tacitly renewed on the renewal date for successive terms of the same duration as the initial term that is contracted unless the policy is cancelled no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is your first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, you can contact KBC Complaints Management by post at Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, by e-mail at, by telephone on tel. 016 43 25 94 (freephone number) or 078 152045 (paid number), or by fax on 016 863038. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman – which serves the whole industry – by post at de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, by e-mail at, or through its website at However, you always retain the right to initiate legal proceedings.
  • Contact your KBC insurance intermediary to request a quotation for compulsory industrial accident insurance under the KBC Commercial Employee Insurance Cover. 

KBC Commercial Employee Insurance Cover is a product provided by KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium. VAT BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB. Company licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, De Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979). Member of the KBC Group

For a concise description of the cover, the main exclusions and other useful information, please refer to the product fact sheet.