Ten-year liability insurance

Ten-year liability insurance

Extensive cover

You are covered up to the amount of the reconstruction of the home or 500,000 euros per insured claim event.

Required for large construction projects

Legally required for architects, contractors and other service providers in the construction industry.

Comprehensive or individual policy

Take out insurance for yourself or for all parties involved in the construction project.

From 1 July 2018, contractors and other service providers in the construction industry will be legally required to take out ten-year liability insurance. Architects were already required to take out this insurance.

Ten-year liability insurance

What is ten-year liability insurance?

If you are a contractor or an architect, you have ten-year third-party liability for any construction work you perform. If anything should happen to the construction in that period and you are held liable, the resulting costs may be recovered from you. Ten-year liability insurance covers this risk. 

Is ten-year liability insurance legally required?

Architects, contractors and other service providers in the construction industry are legally required to take out ten-year liability insurance. This obligation only applies to large construction projects which require inspection by an architect. 

Property developers can also take out a comprehensive policy to insure all parties involved in the construction project.

What does KBC Ten-Year Liability Insurance entail?

Who is insured?

You can choose who to include in the policy:

  • If you choose a comprehensive policy, all parties performing work on the insured construction work are insured
  • If you choose an individual policy, only you, being the policyholder, and your subcontractors are insured

What is covered?

Ten-year liability insurance
  • Your third-party liability based on sections 1792 and 2270 of the Belgian Civil Code;
  • During a period of ten years following acceptance of the works;
  • Restricted to the solidity, stability and impermeability of the closed structural work, should the solidity or stability of the insured construction work somehow be jeopardised by its impermeability;
  • Work performed or intellectual performance on buildings located in Belgium intended mainly for residential purposes.
    • The sum insured for each claim, for the combined property damage and non-material loss adds up to: 500,000 euros, if the reconstruction costs are a minimum of 500,000 euros, unless a higher sum is listed in the Special Conditions. 
    • The amount of the reconstruction, if this amount is less than 500,000 euros.
    • The amounts listed above are linked to the ABEX index. The basic index in this case is that for the first half of 2007 and the index applicable during the month when the claim was reported. 

What is not covered?

Some key exclusions are:

  • Pure non-material loss, i.e., monetary loss which does not arise from the property damage
  • Cosmetic damage, i.e., damage which has no influence on the use of the insured construction work
  • Additional costs arising from the alterations and/or improvements made to the insured construction work following a claim
  • Claim events caused by malicious intent or gross negligence

Good to know

This product is governed by the laws of Belgium. 

Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, complaints@kbc.be, tel. 016 43 25 94. If no satisfactory solution can be reached, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry's ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, info@ombudsman.aswww.ombudsman.as This does not affect your legal rights

KBC Ten-Year Liability Insurance is a product provided by KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium.VAT BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB

Company licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979). Member of the KBC Group.

For a concise description of the cover, the main exclusions and other useful information, please refer to the product fact sheet.

Contact your KBC Insurance agent to take out ten-year liability insurance

Professional Liability Insurance

What if you have to pay compensation or incur legal expenses because you or one of your employees commits a professional error? KBC Professional Liability Insurance covers both you and your business: we pay those amounts for you. Find out all about it.
Professional Liability Insurance

KBC Group Hospitalisation Insurance

Group Hospitalisation Insurance: a supplementary benefit your employees will thank you for. It saves them from having to take out insurance while their hospital expenses are covered, and as an employer you are exempt from paying social security contributions on the premiums.
KBC Group Hospitalisation Insurance

Social VSPSS (Voluntary Supplementary Pension Scheme for the Self-Employed)

  • Tax relief
  • Guaranteed return
  • Protection in the event of incapacity for work, disability, and maternity leave
Social VSPSS (Voluntary Supplementary Pension Scheme for the Self-Employed)

Legal assistance insurance

If your business inflicts damage on others (outside your business), you will have to compensate them. KBC Legal Assistance Insurance covers you in this situation.
Legal assistance insurance