Borrow more cheaply using the Flemish interest-subsidised renovation loan
- Take out your mortgage loan and renovation loan at KBC
- Make your home much more energy efficient within five years
- Receive an interest subsidy from the Flemish government for your energy-saving renovation loan.
What is the Flemish interest-subsidised renovation loan?
If you're taking out a mortgage loan to buy a home whose energy performance is poor and you make this property much more energy efficient within 5 years, you can take out a Flemish interest-subsidised renovation loan to cover the work required to improve energy efficiency. The Flemish government pays this interest subsidy on the renovation loan if you meet all the conditions in place.
What are the conditions?
A brief summary:
- You acquire full ownership of the property by buying it, buying out your partner or by demolishing and rebuilding it
- The property you bought is located in the Flemish Region
- You apply for the Flemish renovation loan at the same time as the mortgage loan for buying the property
- Your house or apartment has EPC label E or F when ownership is transferred and the renovation work enables it to obtain a D label or better within5 years
All the relevant conditions are published on the Flemish Government's website.
Be sure to check out www.premiezoeker.be. The Flemish and Federal governments provide a range of grants and other benefits. By using this, you can find out in advance which grants or subsidies you are eligible for.
More information on the Flemish interest-subsidised renovation loan
House (EPC label E or F)
|EPC label to be obtained within 5 years||Maximum amount|
Apartment (EPC label E or F)
|EPC label to be obtained within 5 years
- Take out a mortgage loan at KBC to buy your home and arrange a Flemish interest-subsidised renovation loan at the same time to make your home more energy efficient
- Complete a sworn statement when applying for the interest subsidy
- KBC forwards your application to the Flemish government
- Pay the interest on both loans to KBC
- The Flemish government pays an interest subsidy on the renovation loan each year provided you meet all the conditions
- Provide the Flemish government with a new energy performance certificate within five years of the date on which you signed for your loan, proving that the required EPC label has been obtained
The loan to buy your home and the loan to renovate it are types of 'mortgage loan for immovable property'. This type of loan is usually secured by a mortgage, a power of attorney to create a mortgage or a combination of the two.
You can apply for a mortgage loan at KBC only if you live in Belgium and receive your main income in euros.
Our expert advice will help you make the right decision. It only takes a few minutes to use our calculator to get answers to questions like:
- How much can I borrow?
- How long should I borrow for?
- Should I opt for a fixed or a variable interest rate?
- What is the total cost?
- What are the tax implications?
|Target EPC label||discount on interest rate|
Where can you apply for the Flemish interest-free renovation loan?
Apply for the Flemish interest-free renovation loan online
by hitting the button below. Or simply drop by your branch or get in touch with
What you should have in your possession:
- A copy of the EPC certificate for your home
- A completed and signed sworn declaration
Lender: KBC Bank NV, Havenlaan 2, 1080 Brussels, Belgium VAT BE 0462.920.226 – RLP Brussels – FSMA 026 256 A. Subject to your loan application being approved by KBC Bank NV.
KBC Bank does not offer loan agreements in foreign currencies. By law, these sorts of loan agreements are defined as loan agreements under which the credit:
- is expressed in another currency in which the consumer receives the income or holds the assets out of which the loan is to be repaid;
- is expressed in another currency than that of the member state where the consumer resides.
KBC Bank therefore concentrates exclusively on individuals who live in Belgium and whose main income is in euros.