What does home insurance cost?

The cost of your home insurance depends on several factors. At KBC, you can easily work out online how much you will have to pay. However, if you’re curious to find out exactly how we go about calculating your premium, all will be revealed in this article.

How much does home insurance cost?

Your home insurance reflects the value of your home. Simply put: the higher its value, the more expensive your insurance.

So, how much you pay depends on your situation and therefore varies from person to person.

If you want work out the cost of your home insurance online, you won't have to provide an estimate of the value of your property. We’ll calculate how much the insurance costs based on a few parameters that you enter.

Work out your personal rate

How do we work out the cost of your home insurance?

We work out what your home insurance costs primarily on the basis of four key parameters: the location, the type of property you have, the size and level of finishing of your home and any additional cover you take out.

1. Location

The location of the property is important because it tells us more about where you live. For instance, if you live in an area known to be at risk of flooding, you’ll pay a bit more for your premium.

2. ‏Type of property

If you live in a flat, terraced house, semi-detached or detached house, it enables us to better assess the risk of loss due to damage being caused by other people. In a flat, for instance, you’re more likely to suffer damage caused by the actions of your neighbours (i.e. water, smoke or fire damage).

If you live in a detached house, you’re more at risk of being burgled.

3. Size and level of finishing

The more it costs to repair your home, the more expensive your premium. You’ll pay less for home insurance if you live in a small flat than if you own a large villa.

Using expensive building materials that are more susceptible to fire (such as for a parquet floor or thatched roof), for instance, will push up your premium because the more wood or thatch that is used in the construction of your home, the greater the risk of a serious fire.

A heating oil tank can also give rise to an increased risk of leaks and soil contamination.

4. Standard and additional forms of cover

Your home insurance only covers damage caused by fire, water and floods. However, you can also choose to insure home contents, such as furniture, clothes and appliances, or take out additional cover, such as insurance against theft or for your swimming pool. The more add-ons you take, the more expensive your premium will be.

Want to know how much home insurance would cost you?

Work out the cost of home insurance online in three easy steps.

Work out your personal rate

What is covered?

For tenants and owners

  • Fire or explosion damage
  • Water damage
  • Storm, hail or lightning damage (like lightning destroying electric appliances or a storm or heavy winds damaging your garden furniture)
  • Natural disasters such as floods and earthquakes
  • Damage caused by a collision
  • Vandalism or (attempted) theft in your home or even objects outside your home, such as your electric bike parked in your driveway
  • Pets (insured everywhere)

Specifically for tenants

  • Damage to fixtures or improvements you made to the home as a tenant, at your own expense (like when your garden shed is damaged during a storm)

Specifically for landlords

Third-party liability for loss or damage to your tenant, if caused by:

  • the building, the grounds, any adjacent footpaths, the garage (also if it is located elsewhere or you are renting it) or their contents
  • odd jobs done at the property you rent out


  • We insure your baggage in the holiday home you rent or in your hotel room
  • Your pets are also insured worldwide wherever you travel

What is not covered?

Specifically for tenants

  • Typical rental damage, such as wall plugs or scale on sanitary fittings
  • Damage caused by pets

General exclusions

  • Loss or deliberate damage
  • Damage caused by:
    • Instability of the sub-surfaces of structures built less than two years ago, or of terraces and driveways
    • Groundwater or precipitation that has seeped inside due to your cellars or exterior walls not being waterproof
    • Works
    • Correction of construction flaws
    • Theft of or from a vehicle that is parked elsewhere than at the address which is insured

Note that our all-risks cover for the contents does not apply to unique objects such as antiques and artwork. We recommend our specific ‘Valuables’ cover for this purpose. For further information, please contact your Insurance Expert.

This list is not exhaustive. See our product fact sheets below for full details of what is and isn't covered.

Good to know

The KBC Home Insurance is a property insurance policy.

  • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
  • Insurance cover under this policy is valid for a term of one year and tacitly renews, unless it is terminated no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management: Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, complaints@kbc.be, tel. 016 43 25 94  or + 32 78 15 20 45 (charges apply), fax + 32 16 86 30 38. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry’s ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, info@ombudsman.as, www.ombudsman.as. This does not affect your legal rights.

Contact your Insurance Expert or visit our website to request a quotation for the KBC Home Insurance.
The KBC Home Insurance is a product of KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
VAT BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
Company authorised for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979; Belgian Official Gazette, 14 July 1979) by the National Bank of Belgium, De Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
Member of the KBC Group

For a concise description of the cover, the most important exclusions and other useful information, please refer to the product fact sheet