Free savings account for your child
- Save for your child at your own pace
- Funds accessible at any time
- Account in your child's name
Why open a KBC Savings Account for your child?
When you open a KBC Savings Account for your child, you're actually giving your little treasure a digital piggy bank. So, when a birthday or other special occasion comes around and family and friends want to make gifts of money, they simply transfer that money to the account.
- Individual transfers and automatic savings orders: you decide how much you save for your child and how you want to save. You can make individual transfers or you can set up an automatic savings order.
- Savings are always available: the money in the children's savings account is always available and earns interest until the day you withdraw it.
- In your child's name: the account is opened in your child's name right away. You can decide when you want to involve your child in managing the account, which serves as a valuable part of your child's financial education.
Savings account earnings
|Base rate of interest
The rates shown are gross and annualised and can change at any time. Current rates are always shown above or can be obtained from your KBC branch. If the rates change, we will inform you by post or through one of our digital channels.
Savings earn interest at the base rate from the very first calendar day following the transaction date, and cease to earn interest from the calendar day on which they are withdrawn.
The fidelity bonus is awarded for amounts that remain on the savings account for 12 full, consecutive months. If money is withdrawn or transferred from the account, the accruing fidelity bonuses whose acquisition date is furthest in the future will be the first to be ended. However, for the first three transfers per year to another regulated savings account held with KBC, there is a pro rata transfer of the fidelity bonus, provided the following conditions are met:
- The two savings accounts have at least one holder who is the same person.
- Each transfer is for at least 500 euros.
- The funds are not transferred by standing order or automatic savings order.
This means that the current 12-month calculation period is not interrupted but continues running on the beneficiary savings account. Therefore, the fidelity bonus is likewise only awarded on amounts that are held, in this case, on two or more savings accounts for 12 consecutive months.
Savings account features
The KBC Savings Account is a regulated savings account offered by KBC Bank NV, Belgium. It is governed by the laws of Belgium.
- Free savings account
There are no charges for opening and managing a children's savings account. If you would like to receive account statements by post, it costs 2.50 euros a month if they are sent monthly or 25 euros a month if sent daily.
- Save on tax
Individuals are exempt from withholding tax (currently 15%) on the first 1,020 euros of interest earned each year (2024 figure).
- Accessible at any time
The KBC Savings Account is an open-ended product. The funds on your savings account can be withdrawn at any time and without charge.
- Insolvency risk: a maximum of 100,000 euros of your aggregate deposits with KBC Bank are guaranteed per person, subject to certain conditions. In the event of KBC’s insolvency (e.g., if it goes into bankruptcy), you run the risk of losing any deposits you have over 100,000 euros, or their amount could be reduced or converted into shares. You can obtain a copy of our ‘Protection of deposits and financial instruments in Belgium’ brochure from your KBC branch or from www.kbc.be/depositprotection.
- Inflation risk: this savings account also has an inflation risk, as sustained price increases can result in the amount deposited losing value.