KBC Start2Save stopped being sold on 1 January 2017.
This page is solely for clients holding a KBC Start2Save Account.
KBC Start2Save is a regulated savings account offered by KBC Bank NV, Belgium. It may be opened in the name of one or more individuals. You may only open one KBC Start2Save Account.It is governed by the laws of Belgium.
You deposit savings onto a KBC Start2Save Account by automatic savings order. That can be up to 500 euros a month.
Features of KBC Start2Save
- Constant availability: KBC Start2Save is an open-ended product. You can withdraw funds from your KBC Start2Save Account at any time and without charge.
- Risk: Your entire deposits with KBC Bank up to a maximum of 100.000 euros per person are guaranteed subject to certain conditions. In the event of the KBC's insolvency (e.g., if it goes into bankruptcy), you run the risk of losing any deposits you have over 100.000 euros, or their amount could be reduced or converted into shares. You can obtain a copy of our 'Protection of deposits and financial instruments in Belgium brochure' from your KBC branch or from www.kbc.be/depositprotection.
- Free savings account: we won't charge you for opening and managing your savings account. Sending printed account statements by post pays 2.50 Euros per month if sent monthly or 25.00 Euros per month if sent daily.
- Saves on tax: Individuals are exempt from withholding tax (currently 980 euros) on the first 15% of interest earned each year (2022 figure).
Automatic savings order
You can only save on a KBC Start2Save Account from a another KBC account or from an account with another financial institution through a single monthly fixed savings order for a set amount of no more than 500 euros. It is only possible to have one order for eachKBC Start2Save Account.
These interest rates are gross and annualised and are subject to change at any time. The withholding tax is 15%. Current rates are always given here or can be obtained from your KBC Bank branch. If rates change, we will inform account holders of this on their statements of account.
Base rate of interest
- Base rate of interest 0.01%.
- Savings earn a base rate of interest from the date on which the KBC automatic savings order is set up or, in the case of standing orders issued from KBC or another financial institution, from the calendar day after the date on which the funds are credited.
- Savings cease to earn interest from the calendar day on which the order to withdraw the funds has been given.
Fidelity bonus of 0.10%.
The fidelity bonus is awarded for funds that remain on your savings account for 12 consecutive months. If money is withdrawn or transferred from the account, the accruing fidelity bonuses whose acquisition date is furthest in the future will be the first to be ended. As from 1 January 2014, however, for the first 3 transfers per year to another regulated savings account held with KBC Bank, there is a pro rata transfer of the fidelity bonus, provided the following conditions are met:
- The 2 savings accounts have at least one holder who is the same person
- Each transfer is for at least 500 euros
- The funds are not transferred by standing order or automatic savings order
This means that the current 12-month calculation period is not interrupted but continues running on the beneficiary savings account. Therefore, the fidelity bonus is likewise only awarded on amounts that are held on your savings account for 12 consecutive months.