How to go about switching banks
- Use the free bank switching service
- Get your account balance, wages and direct debits transferred automatically
- Have everything finalised in 10 business days without any administrative hassle
What is the bank switching service?
The bank switching service is a free service that lets you transfer an existing account to another bank.
The bank switching service lets you:
- Transfer the balance from your existing account to your new account
- Transfer payment orders and direct debit orders to your new account
- Notify those making payments to your account (such as your employer)
- Close your current account without having to go in person to your old bank
- All you have to do is fill in and sign the request form to switch banks and move current accounts or the request form to switch banks and move savings accounts and then send it to your new bank.
- You can switch to KBC entirely online using the handy KBC Mobile app. Download it from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, register and start switching banks:
1. Tap ‘Offer’, scroll to ‘KBC products’, tap ‘Accounts’ and then ‘Move your accounts to KBC for free’
2. Just ask Kate to start your bank switch (everything will be arranged in just a few steps)
FAQs on switching banks
About 10 business days. You’ll receive an e-mail from us when you’ve successfully switched banks.
When you use the bank switching service, you ask KBC to notify all official and other bodies (such as your employer, the government or your child benefit fund) of your new account number. Your standing orders and direct debits can also be transferred to your new KBC account.
The bank switching service is completely free of charge.
Yes, you can. There are two ways to go about this:
1. You can get the balance of both accounts transferred to your new current account. First you make a request to switch your current account and then a request to switch your savings account. In both cases, you should specify your (new) current account at KBC as the new account.
2. You can open a new savings account (for free at KBC) in addition to your new current account. You can then transfer the balance of your savings account at your old bank to your new savings account at KBC.
Even then, you can partially switch to KBC. However, you can only close your existing account by going in person to your current bank. Our KBC Live experts will be happy to provide you with more information in this regard. You can call them on 078 353 137 (weekdays from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.).
No, this is currently not possible at any European bank. However, when you use the bank switching service, all the entities that regularly credit money to your account will be informed of your new account number.