Optional legal assistance cover (tax-deductible)

KBC Family Insurance

Optional legal assistance cover (tax-deductible)

KBC Family Insurance

Legal assistance insurance covers the cost of a lawyer if you're involved in a legal dispute. If your insurance is extended to cover construction disputes or divorce-related disputes, you can claim tax relief of up to 124 euros on it.

What is legal assistance?

Legal assistance cover under your family insurance

Suffered loss, damage or injury because of someone else's mistake or negligence?

We will assist you in obtaining compensation from the liable party.

For instance

  • When something goes wrong during a hospital operation and you become permanently disabled
  • You get hit by a car when out cycling

Why take out legal assistance cover?

Our family insurance covers loss, damage or injury that you or your children cause to other individuals or that your animals cause to other individuals (for instance, your dog escapes and causes a traffic accident).

If you suffer loss, damage or injury that is caused by the actions of another person, our legal assistance cover ensures you receive the legal support and assistance to seek compensation (for instance, if an inattentive cyclist crashes into you when you're on a pedestrian crossing).

If you extend the legal assistance cover to include contractual and other disputes, you will also receive legal support if, for instance, your new TV doesn't work and the shop refuses to replace it, or if your landlord refuses to fix your broken front door.

New! Tax-deductible as from 2019

The optional legal assistance cover for contractual and other disputes under our family insurance now also provides legal assistance in the event of divorce and for construction disputes. That's particularly useful as lawyers and the courts can end up costing you a lot of money.

If you take out personal legal assistance insurance and the optional cover for contractual and other disputes, the premium you pay is tax-deductible.

For assessment year 2020 (income for 2019), up to 310 euros qualify for tax relief. The maximum tax break is, therefore, 310 euros x 40% = 124 euros.

→ Make an appointment with one of our insurance experts

What is and isn't insured?


Personal legal assistance insurance

If you suffer loss, damage or injury that is caused by the actions of another person, we will assist you in obtaining compensation from the liable party. If they are unable to pay, we'll pay up to 12,500 euros in compensation. This figure is doubled in the case of bodily injuries.

Extension of legal assistance to cover contractual and other disputes

This supplementary cover provides legal support for contractual disputes as long as the amount involved is at least 200 euros.
The other disputes that are covered concern

  • Tax and administrative law
  • Labour law (including public-sector officials and the self-employed for their social security status)
  • Inheritance, gifts and wills
  • A first divorce or termination of legal cohabitation
  • Initial mediation in family matters (under private and family law, disputes concerning support, upbringing, residence and personal contact with the children)
  • Construction matters where an architect or permit is required

Not insured

  • Disputes concerning non-payment of an undisputed invoice
  • Disputes about a property other than your main residence, such as a holiday home that has serious defects (such a contractual dispute with the contractor/architect is not covered)
  • Disputes in which you are involved as the owner, keeper, lessee or driver of a motor vehicle that is subject to compulsory third-party liability motor insurance
  • Disputes arising from a collective labour dispute, involuntary liquidation proceedings or the closure of a company
  • Construction disputes concerning a property when the work has been carried out by a contractor that is not registered with the 'Crossroads Bank of Enterprises' database to perform said work

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

Good to know

  • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
  • Insurance cover under this policy is valid for a term of one year and is tacitly renewed unless you terminate it no later than three months before the main renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management: Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, complaints@kbc.be, tel. 016 43 25 94 (free of charge), tel. + 32 78 15 20 45 (charges apply), fax + 32 16 86 30 38. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman Service: de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, info@ombudsman-insurance.be, www.ombudsman-insurance.be.
    This does not affect your legal rights.

To request a premium calculation for legal assistance cover under the KBC Family Insurance policy, contact your Insurance Expert for more help.

KBC Family Insurance is a product of KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
VAT BE 403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
Company authorised for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979; Belgian Official Gazette, 14 July 1979) by the National Bank of Belgium, De Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
Member of the KBC Group

For a concise description of the cover, the most important exclusions and other information, please refer to the information document and the general conditions

Get tax relief of up to 124 euros