What do I need to sort out for a birth?

What do I need to sort out for a birth?

When you have a child, there are some formalities to deal with. You can sort out some things before the birth and others can wait. A checklist.

Before the birth

  • Arrange childcare
    Make a start on this as early as possible in the pregnancy. In cities in particular, childcare places are hard to find. Find out if your municipality has a registration system for municipal childcare initiatives.
  • Inform your employer of your pregnancy
    It's best to do so verbally first and then send in the declaration which your gynaecologist will give you.
  • Apply for maternity allowance (lump sum on birth)
    As a parent, you receive a lump sum on the birth of a child, known as maternity allowance. You can apply to the child benefit fund from the sixth month of pregnancy.
  • Open a kids account
    Put the account number on the birth announcement card in case anyone wants to give you a gift. Open an account now. You can put your savings account in your child's name after the birth.
  • Recognise the child
    If you aren't married, the father can recognise the child before birth at the municipal office. The mother has to give her consent to this.
  • Find out about assistance for new mothers
    If you would like a bit of extra help in the weeks after the birth, you can call upon assistance for new mothers. Various organisations provide assistance for new mothers. The health insurance fund reimburses some of the cost.
  • Apply for maternity leave
    Your doctor will fill in a declaration of incapacity for work. You give this form to your mutual insurance fund.
  • Contact your mutual insurance fund
    They'll often give you an extra lump sum following the birth and a gift.

After the birth

  • Register the birth
    After the birth, your doctor or midwife will give you a form with which to register your child at the registry office for the place of birth within 15 days. You'll be given several copies of the birth certificate, for applying for child benefit and a lump sum following the birth, etc.
  • Choose a surname
    Since 1 June 2014, you can give your child a double-barrelled name. The name of the father or co-mother, the name of the mother or a combination of both names. You indicate your choice when you register the birth.
  • Notify your mutual insurance fund of the birth
    Notify the mutual insurance fund after the birth and give them a copy of the birth certificate.
  • If applicable, ask about a breastfeeding bonus from the mutual insurance fund.
  • Notify the nursery
    Notify the nursery of the birth and arrange to take a look around.
  • Take out endowment insurance
    Many parents love to give their child a good start as a young adult. With endowment insurance, you build up a lump sum for your child at your own pace. Ask your KBC branch for more information about the various types.
  • Find out about insurance If you have supplementary health insurance, you can add your child to the policy. Ask your insurance company about this. It might be a good idea to add your child to other policies – for instance family insurance.
  • Apply for child benefit
    You need a copy of the birth certificate to apply for child benefit. If you're an employee, your employer will handle it for you.
  • Apply for paternity leave for your partner
    Your partner is entitled to 10 days' paternity leave during the four months following the birth. They apply through their employer.

Insure your holidays and enjoy yourself without any worries

Enjoy worry-free holidays. KBC Holiday Insurance is a tailor-made policy that covers you temporarily for the duration of your trip

Notifying us that a client has died

Informing us of a death is the first step to making sure the deceased's banking and insurance affairs are taken care of properly and smoothly.

Why you should start saving for your pension

Your state pension is less than your final salary. By choosing to save, you'll build up a reserve and get up to 30% tax relief.

Regulate your succession with the use of a will

The law stipulates who your heirs are. However, you do have a certain freedom to regulate your succession with the use of a will.