Whether you'll be in another country for a short or long time, it's always best to have some of the local currency on you to cover small initial expenses when you arrive. Your bank and credit card will also be indispensable to you, so make sure you have them with you too.
If you're going to a country that's not part of the euro area, it's advisable to have a small amount of that country's currency on you. Already with us? You can order foreign banknotes online using KBC Touch. When you do so, you get to choose the branch where you can collect your order.
- Make sure you order enough smaller-denomination banknotes, so you'll always have more or less the right amount on you when you go to pay for something at the beginning of your trip.
- If the exchange rate for the currency of the country you're going to tends to be volatile and you're planning to take a lot of cash with you, it may be worthwhile converting your euros to the currency of your destination in advance when there's a good exchange rate. One way to do this is to open a foreign currency account with KBC. You can then withdraw the foreign currency you need a few days before you leave and may benefit from a better exchange rate.
If you're heading abroad, be sure to take your bank card with you.
- If you're travelling in Europe, you can withdraw cash as usual using your bank card at any ATM displaying the Maestro logo. See European countries where you have unrestricted use of your KBC Debit Card as standard.
- If you want to be able to withdraw cash outside Europe, you'll need to temporarily enable your card for worldwide use. You can do this yourself using KBC Touch or KBC Mobile. Once your card has been activated for use outside Europe, it can be used immediately.
A big advantage of KBC credit cards and KBC Prepaid Cards is that they can be used worldwide. Please note that when you travel to the US, you have to take additional measures to ensure that you can use your card there.
- You can easily activate your card for use in the US via KBC Mobile or KBC Touch. You can do this permanently if you're a regular visitor there, or temporarily for the duration of your trip. Any changes you make will take immediate effect.
- If you don't have access to our online banking service, just contact your KBC branch or KBC Live (outside your branch's opening hours).
- If your travels don't take you outside Europe, it's best to limit where you can use your KBC credit card and/or KBC Prepaid Card to that geographic area. You can do this easily online.
- Ensure your credit card remains valid for the duration of your trip abroad by checking the expiry date on the front of it.
Paying by bank card is preferable to taking large amounts of cash with you.
- In Europe, you can pay for things using your bank card at any ATM displaying the Maestro logo. Your card lets you do this as standard. See the countries where you have unrestricted use of your KBC Debit Card as standard.
- Outside Europe, you'll need to temporarily enable your KBC Debit Card for worldwide use. You can do this yourself using KBC Touch or KBC Mobile. Once your card has been activated for use outside Europe, it can be used immediately.
Remember that you'll only be able to withdraw cash from ATMs displaying the Maestro logo.
As standard, you can use your credit or prepaid card to pay anywhere in the world except the US. To pay there, you must first activate your card for worldwide use via KBC Touch or KBC Mobile.
- If you don't activate your credit card or prepaid card for use in the US before you leave, you'll only be able to use it there for transactions using your PIN, such as cash withdrawals.
- On a cruise ship, there's nothing quite as handy as being able to pay by credit card. If you're heading off on a cruise, don't forget to activate your card for use in the US as cruise ships often sail under the American flag and collect payments through a US network. So, even if they're not sailing in US waters, US rules will apply and you'll need to have activated your card for worldwide use.
- Car rental companies with a US parent company also frequently collect card payments made to them through a US network. So, if you're renting a car, it's also advisable to activate your credit card for use in the US. Car rental companies rarely accept prepaid cards.
Act without delay and block your card with KBC Mobile. Under 'Means of payment' in My KBC, select the debit card you want to block and tap 'Block or replace'. Then tap 'Card Stop' and follow the steps.
Alternatively, call Card Stop immediately on 078 170 170. Card Stop will block your card and ensure you get a new one. Card Stop can be contacted at any time.
Kate also helps you make payments abroad
If you need to unblock your card, order foreign currency or use your card abroad, feel free to ask Kate, your digital assistant in KBC Mobile.