A lot changes when you turn 18 and officially reach adulthood. That includes your relationship with your bank. As an adult, you'll get full control of your accounts, but you'll need to provide us with a few details first (you've got 180 days to do so).
Financially organised at 18
When you turn eighteen, you will get full access to your current account and savings account. From now on your accounts will no longer be managed by your parents. You can still give your parents powers of attorney, if you wish. But you're in charge.
You also need to give us a few details, such as scans of your ID card and your residential address. There are two ways to give us these details:
1. KBC Mobile
Once you turn 18, our KBC Mobile app notifies you that you need to take care of a few formalities with us. Simply react to this message to do so quickly and easily without needing to visit your branch. You can only use this method if you started using KBC Mobile before your eighteenth birthday.
If you’re under 18 and still don’t have KBC Mobile on your phone, get it now to save yourself a trip to your branch.
Drop by your branch (or any of our nearby branches) and we’ll be happy to help you sort out the formalities we need you to complete.
You can still give your parents power of attorney over your accounts if you want, but you stay in control.
How does it work?
- Once you click on the message, you will start the process immediately.
- Verify a number of details (such as your address and telephone number).
- Take photos of the front and back of your ID card and upload them.
- Decide whether to give your parent or parents power of attorney over your account(s).*
- And sign by entering your PIN.
*This screen will only appear if your parents are known to KBC. If this screen is not shown but you would still like to give your parents power of attorney, then once you have completed the process you can pop along to the KBC Bank branch.
- Make an appointment with us using the button below
- Complete the legally required formalities with help from our branch adviser
Dealing with this financial administration when you turn 18 is mandatory. You have 180 days from your birthday to organise everything. With KBC Mobile you can do it in minutes on your smartphone.