When you buy a new fridge, laptop computer or television, it comes with a statutory warranty. This warranty provides for the repair or replacement of your appliance or device if it gets lost or damaged, for two years after purchase. But what if your fridge suddenly packs up after those two years? That's when an extended warranty policy offers comfort. On top of the statutory two years, this insurance gives a further two years' warranty on your newly purchased appliance or device.
What is extended warranty?
Who is insured for what?
- Small and large household appliances (fridge, washing machine, iron, vacuum cleaner, etc.)
- Audio equipment and televisions (TV, DVD player, GPS devices, CD player, etc.)
- DIY equipment (drill, pressure washer, electric sander, etc.)
If you have a KBC Platinum Credit Card, then you also benefit from an extended warranty policy on computer products
- Laptop computer
- Computer screen
If you want to find out whether your most recent purchase is covered by the extended warranty insurance, check this list of insured goods. If your appliance or device is not on the list, it isn't covered.
The guarantee also applies to purchases outside Belgium.
It is insured, but what are the conditions?
What should you watch out for if your appliance or device is damaged and you want to claim under the extended warranty insurance?
- At least half of your purchase must have been paid for using
your KBC credit card to which the insurance policy is
- Your purchase must be for at least 50 euros
- When you report the claim for loss of or damage to your appliance or device, you must be in possession of your KBC credit card
- The damage to your appliance or device must have an internal cause
- Keep the till receipt or invoice for your purchase in a safe place, because you must be able to present it in the case of a claim
- You must also be able to present your credit card bill or monthly statement
You can submit a claim under the insurance as long as your credit card is active, you have paid the card fee and you have signed up to this insurance. Signing up is free of charge. The insurance ends automatically when the contract between KBC Bank NV and the insurer is cancelled.
What exactly is reimbursed?
If your appliance or device is damaged and covered by the extended warranty insurance, then the repair costs will be reimbursed. If those costs exceed the amount that you would have to pay for a completely new appliance or device, then you will receive an amount for a new appliance or device so that you can replace the damaged goods.
What is not reimbursed?
The main risks that are not covered are
- Deliberate damage caused by the insured person or members of their household
- The loss or inexplicable disappearance of the insured item
- Damage during transportation
- Ordinary wear and tear
- Aesthetic damage (scratches, dents.), etc.
The main goods that are not covered are
- Money, foreign currency, travellers' cheques and trading securities
- Mobile phones
- Second-hand or used goods
- Jewellery, watches, furs and works of art
The conditions of cover are available at any KBC bank branch or at www.kbc.be/platinum. The applicable general conditions alone determine your right to compensation from the insurer.
Good to know
- The insurance is offered by KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger
Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium VAT BE 0403.552.563
– RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB. Company
licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000
Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014
(Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July
1979). Member of the KBC Group.
The conditions of insurance cover are available under 'Learn more' (at www.kbc.be/en/gold) and from any KBC Bank branch. The applicable general conditions alone determine your right to compensation from the insurer.
- You can submit any advertising complaints you may have by
e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 0800 62 084 or email@example.com, www.ombfin.be. You
can submit any insurance complaints you may have by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 0800 62
084 or email@example.com, www.ombudsman.as.
- You must
register for the insurance policy in order to benefit from its
cover. Signing up is free of charge. You can submit a claim under
the insurance as long as your credit card is active and you have
paid the card fee. The insurance ends automatically when the
contract between KBC Bank NV and the insurer is terminated.
- Belgian law applies.
- This insurance is a
class 16 product (financial loss insurance).
- For a quote, please contact your KBC insurance intermediary.