It's bound to happen: the moment you buy an expensive new jumper, you get the sleeve caught on a door handle. Result: a damaged jumper that you either can't wear any more or need to get repaired, costing you even more money. Our purchase protection insurance protects your purchases against accidental damage for 90 days after the date of purchase or delivery. But did you know that this insurance is often already included with your KBC credit card? Useful, no?
Protection against loss or damage
Torn your skirt getting up from your chair? Broken your glasses because you sat on them? These are typical examples of accidental damage: loss or destruction of or damage to your purchase due to an external cause. The purchase protection insurance protects your purchases against this sort of damage for up to 90 days after purchase or delivery date.
Protection against theft
Had your laptop computer stolen from the boot of your car? This is known as aggravated theft, in other words theft preceded by forcible entry - such as forcing a lock - or theft with physical violence. The purchase protection insurance will pay compensation in this case, too.
The insurer will reimburse you the repair costs, or replacement cost as new, of the damaged or stolen item, up to a maximum of 3,000 euros per insured credit card per year. If the repair costs exceed the new replacement value, only the latter will be reimbursed.
What goods are insured?
Purchase protection insurance covers movable assets with a value of
50 euros (including VAT) or more, which were purchased new with the
credit card to which this insurance is linked.
The purchased goods must
- Be new
- Have been sold by a professional salesperson
- Be intended for private use
What goods are not insured?
The main goods that are not covered are
- Money, foreign currency, travellers' cheques and trading securities
- Mobile phones
- Second-hand or used goods
- Jewellery, watches
- Works of art
When are you protected?
- At least half of your purchase must have been paid for using
your KBC credit card to which the insurance policy is linked
- You must still have the credit card in your possession at the time of the claim
- Keep both your proof of purchase and your credit card bill or monthly statement, because you will need to present these in the event of a claim
When are you not protected?
In some situations, the purchase protection insurance will not intervene. The main ones are
- Deliberate damage caused by the insured person or members of their household
- The loss or inexplicable disappearance of the insured item
- Damage during transportation
- Ordinary wear and tear
- Aesthetic damage, such as scratches or dents
Good to know
- The insurance is offered by KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger
Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium. VAT BE 0403.552.563
– RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB. Company
licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000
Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014
(Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July
1979). Member of the KBC Group.
- Your KBC Bank branch
is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have about
this advertisement. If no agreement can be reached, please contact
KBC Complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, email@example.com, tel. 0800 62 084 (free of
charge) or + 32 78 15 20 45 (charges apply), fax + 32 16 86 30
If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian ombudsman service for financial conflicts: Ombudsfin vzw, North Gate II, Albert II-laan 8 bus 2, 1000 Brussels, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ombfin.be. If you have a complaint with regard to insurance, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry's ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, email@example.com, www.ombudsman.as.
- You can submit a claim
under the insurance as long as your credit card is active and you
have paid the card fee. The insurance ends automatically when the
contract between KBC Bank NV and the insurer is terminated.
All the insurance policies described here are subject to Belgian law.
- This insurance policy is a class 16 product
(insurance against miscellaneous financial loss).
- The conditions of cover are available from any KBC Bank branch or at www.kbc.be/platinum. The general conditions alone determine your right to compensation from the insurer.